Top 10 Reasons to Leash Your Dog
Virtually every community throughout Southern California has a leash law. The law requires that your dogs be kept on a leash at all times when in public property. While on a private property the dog must be under control of their owners. The intent of this law is to protect the health and safety of the public and to protect your pet. The use of a leash will benefit you, your neighborhood, and your pet. There are many good reasons to keep you dog on a leash.
Be a good neighbor. Be a good friend. Use a leash
- It is a good neighbor policy, preventing your dog from trespassing in your neighbor's property during your walk. It also keeps your dog from jumping on people you encounter, ensuring that your dog has the chance of being properly introduced.
- Improved companionship. A well trained and leash-obedient dog is a pleasure to walk with.
- Walking your pet on a leash will prevent the spread of disease. It is less likely that your dog will be exposed to Parvo Distemper or Giarddia. A leashed dog can be restrained from sniffing the droppings of other animals.
- A leash is commonly referred to as "Your Pet's Lifeline", protecting your pet from traffic and unrestrained animals. Accidents or animal bites are greatly reduced when responsible pet owners obey the leash laws.
- An obedient and well behaved dog is a positive reflection of its owner.
- Re-locating your dog into another household is 100% easier if your dog is obedient and leash trained.
- It's a good way to reward your dog. Your dog will immediate respond with a wagging tail the moment he/she sees you holding a leash.
- It's a great identification tool, symbolizing that the dog has an owner, and enabling someone who sees the leash and identification tag attached to the dog's collar to find you if you and your pet become separated.
- It's a great relief to the wildlife, keeping your dog from chasing squirrels, deer and other wildlife.
- It's the law! The law is in place to protect the other members of the public and your pet from injury.
Miniature Schnauzers & Friends Rescue - Top 10 Reasons to Leash Your Dog
Last updated March 26, 2007
Contact webmaster at
© 2006-2008 Miniature Schnauzers & Friends Rescue